Thursday, May 5, 2011

Delicacy (Please read Disclaimer first)

(CAUTION: Do not even bother going any further if you are the queezy type or if you have food in front of you)



I have been feeling woozy since coming home from China. I was thinking it could be the alcohol I consumed at The Oyster Bar when I went to see Hubert and the rest of my Justice For Hubert Webb family. But I only had a glass of wine. Ok, maybe two glasses. But still, what's wine?

Then I remember my liver's shot. I had a bout with Hepatitis A back in 2004 (I think that was), and I was never the same. Can't even take a bit of anything, my system just won't take it in. So I haven't been drinking since, not that I even drink at all (just tequila and some).

My friends say it could be what I ate in China, so I think back a little more and I say to myself: "Hmmm... maybe so."

See, we lived around the area of Forbidden City, which was a stone's throw away from famous Wangfujing. Wangfujing is home to Snack Street, a night market that features all sorts of street food... the Chinese kind... hehe...

Don't go looking for dimsum and the like on this street (although I did see a handful of vendors selling hot buns), because street food in Beijing isn't exactly food to you and me.

Check out what's hot here! (Excuse the photos, I was also pushing a stroller)

Wangfujing Snack Street at night.

Tourists flock to this strip to get all sorts of Chinese delicacies...

...like the Stinky Tofu...


...or the sugar-coated Haw...

Think HawFlakes, only the actual fruit. They also had other fruits. Strawberries were pretty popular...

Or...

Critters, anyone?

Yes, scorpions, starfish and seahorses. :(

A, right before ordering a stick of small scorpions. (4pcs on a stick, 15RMB)

So yea, I could have gotten the bug in Beijing. I had a teeny-weeny Scorpion foot and the wing of a cricket (at least I think it was a cricket; I have to ask my little bro again).

I figured it was the liver acting up, since I was feeling nauseated (like the morning sickness kind, the one where you get all puke-y but nothing comes out. SORRY, too much info here). So I went and got some Essentiale Forte and Voila! I feel better now.

Remind me never to eat another bug again.


Wangfujing is in the Dongcheng District of Beijing, and is considered as one of the Chinese capital's most famous shopping streets.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails