Wednesday, March 2, 2011

When Loved Ones are Sick.

I had a wild weekend. A was sent home early from school Thursday afternoon with a high fever and a bad headache. While attempting to down a tablet for her fever, she ended up vomiting on herself. It was good that it was a school holiday the next day, so we stayed home to monitor the fever. It went away Friday night.

Saturday morning, she woke up with dried blood around her left nostril. She is prone to allergic rhinitis so nosebleeds are a common sight (she takes after her dad). I consulted my mom on this and she says I can't be too sure, so I might as well bring her to the ER. But because A was her usual hyper self, not like anyone who was sick with something bad (but she didn't have a fever), the pedia told us to wait and see.

Sunday was a normal day. We did chores and church. Shopped for a new shower curtain at Megamall, a place we hardly see nowadays (well, now that we've moved farther north).

Monday, A had a school picnic. She wasn't supposed to go, but it was their last field trip for the school year, and she didn't want to miss it. She got back around 2pm, took a nap, and woke up with another nose bleed. This time, it was fresh blood. Needless to say, I panicked. I left the baby with my brother, and rushed A to St. Luke's for a CBC.

Turns out, she's ok, and it's a viral infection. Plus her nasal membranes are really thin and sensitive. Whew! Didn't think it would cost so much to be paranoid. But it's better to be sure and safe than sorry. One of our office drivers lost a 6-year-old daughter to dengue last month. It won't hurt to be extra careful and watchful, especially if the life of a loved one is at stake. I just realized that it's true what they, about parents going out on a limb to protect their kids. I don't really like hospitals. I only go there to give birth (LOL). But I'd do anything to make sure my babies are ok. I cannot bear to have them go through pain.

Then I realized further that the physical pain is easier to treat (paracetamol works wonders), but what does one do to treat emotional pain? How do you shield your kids from that?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails