Monday, October 12, 2009

Solid Rock

I went to have coffee (well, I didn't exactly have anything, teehee) with my small group Friday night. L talked about how obedience does not necessary equate to you being free from storms. Some Christians obey merely because they are called to obey, not because they desire to obey. And that spells a big difference in God's eyes. We have to remember that God knows every crevice of our hearts. I've often wondered why God would allow terrible things to happen to some Christians I know. I know of a couple in Church. Beautiful relationship, seemingly great walk with God. But then the husband packs up and disappears to nowhere, while his very pregnant wife is clueless as to his whereabouts and well-being. So why did this happen? I also know of a great couple who died in a car accident, leaving their two young daughters behind. Lovely folks, and yet terrible thing to happen. Why do these things happen to good people? I look at their stories and I find no answers to my questions. I cannot judge them or the lives they led. I look to God and know that only He holds the answers. The things that happen in my own life confuse me too sometimes. Even I don't know why. All I know, and this I am sure of, is that God's power is magnified in my weaknesses. When I am weak, He is strong. He will take whatever it is that happened in our lives (good and bad) and use it for His glory.

"Each time he said, 'My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.' So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me." 2 Corinthians 12:9

Pastor D, in his message two Sundays ago, mentioned how living a life with Christ does not promise us a storm-free life, but rather, it guarantees us a storm-proof life. We come out shaken but not stirred. Stronger, not weaker.

"Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord will personally go ahead of you. He will be with you; he will neither fail you nor abandon you.” Deuteronomy 31:8

The past week has been a bit stormy for me. I took on u-turns of past hurts as Pepeng ravaged the north. There was even one day when I allowed depression to take over me. But then, because of all the prayers coming my way, I was quick to realize that God wants me to be joyful in all things. His grace is sufficient and He promises peace that passes all understanding. Some of my friends have asked me how I can laugh, smile, and even joke about all that has happened. I do not know. It can only be God's grace, really. And the promises of His Word that I have kept hidden in my heart.

~~~

You have to build your house upon a rock.
Make a strong foundation on a solid spot.
Well, the storms may come and go,
But the peace of God you will know.


I learned this song as a kid. But it is a great reminder now. Had I had my foundation built on something else other than Christ, I would have been washed away the moment the storms in my life hit.

I've received a lot of slack from always relating every event in my life to God. Some people call it stupid hypocrisy, some call it plain stupid. Even my best friend says "you're being too fatalistic, K". I never said I was perfect. I am far from perfect! I break down, I get bitter, I lose focus, I cry, I feel helpless sometimes. But I have God. And if you cannot hope in your One True Hope, which direction would you take if you were in my shoes? I've heard countless stories of women having similar situations, and they easily gave up - with some ending their marriages, and some ending their lives (or their partners' lives). I cannot speak for them, because I do not know their situation. I can only talk about mine. I am not saying I know where I am heading, but I am focusing on God and what He has in store for me. I hope with peace in my heart, knowing this is all for His glory.

"Yet what we suffer now is nothing compared to the glory he will reveal to us later." Romans 8:18

So. Are you grounded in Truth? It is the only guarantee to a storm-proof life. You may think this blog is stupid to contain references to God, the Bible, etc. I, on the other hand, think it is unwise to not be anchored in Him who says, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me." Yes, the only way to get through storms is to hold on to the One who promises True Life. My feet is on the Rock and my life is on a roll.

2 comments:

  1. hi K!

    I've been opening your blog almost everyday and hoping that you have new posts. :) im not a stalker, nor prying to your personal thoughts as posted here, but i can't help it. everytime i read your blog,i am always reminded of what i used to believe. that God is greater than all these problems we are facing right now. at this moment, i need constant encouragement and reminder of that. and thanks to your blog, it is where i sometimes get my strength.

    and no, making references to God or His words don't make this blog appear studpid. these passages give wisdom to us readers, and thus, making your blog appropriate only for those who are seeking it.

    thank you, K. keep going, run the race. Something good from God awaits you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless you for being an inspiration to others like me. I can honestly say that I have a blessed family life with a loving and supportive husband and 3 wonderful kids but life is not always as rosy as we expect. Somewhere along the way we encounter challenges that need to be hurdled. I am often unsatisfied even when blessings abound. That is my weakness and through your affirmation that God becomes your strength, I am reminded that He too is mine during times of despair. Thank you for allowing people like me to be inspired by your blog and your life. May you find clarity and peace soon Kaye.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails